The South African Inter-University Institute for Data Intensive Astronomy (IDIA) and the US National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) are seeking applications for a joint IDIA-NRAO postdoctoral fellowship.
MeerKAT is a mid-frequency SKA precursor comprised 64 13.5-meter antennas located at the SKA central site in South Africa. It is undertaking several wide-field imaging large survey projects in advance of the SKA. The JVLA is carrying out a full polarization, broad-band large areas sky
The broad-band capabilities of MeerKAT and the JVLA, and of ALMA present challenges for high fidelity imaging. The IDIA-NRAO postdoctoral fellow will work on algorithmic R&D and on the necessary scientific software development as part of the NRAO’s Algorithms Research and Development Group (ARDG). Broadly, the work will be focused on developing and implementation algorithms to account for direction-, frequency-, and polarization-dependent effects common for broad band imaging with dish antenna arrays and incorporating them in pipeline processing software based on the casa package.
The position will be based at IDIA, but the fellow will spend 6 months each year at NRAO Socorro, working with Dr. Sanjay Bhatnagar and the NRAO ARDG team. The compensation package will include a supplement to cover local expenses at NRAO.
The successful candidate will join the MIGHTEE MeerKAT large survey project and will be expected to develop research programs exploiting advanced imaging software and the unique capabilities of the MeerKAT and the JVLA or ALMA.
Preference will be given to applicants whose research interests involve radio polarization observation and cosmic magnetism.
• A PhD in Astronomy with a track record of research and publication.
• Advanced experience in observations with radio interferometer antenna arrays over broad band-widths and wide field of view.
• Experience with calibration and imaging of full-polarization interferometer data with the CASA software environment
• Scientific programming experience in python and c++.
To apply, please e-mail the documents below in a single pdf file to Ms. Nicky Walker at email@example.com before 1 October 2019.
1. A cover letter letter
2. A Curriculum Vitae
3. A brief statement of research interests
4. The names and contact details of three individual who are willing to serve as a reference.
Download pdf version of advertisement