UPDATE: This position is now filled.
IDIA seeks to appoint a Data Scientist to work on the BRICS Intelligent Telescope and Data Network (BITDN), and the IDIA hackathon programme.
The BITDN is a BRICS flagship programme in astronomy to develop a telescope and data network. It will draw on the opportunities presented by multi-wavelength space- and ground-based facilities that are accessed by the BRICS group for detection and follow-up of transient phenomena and the development of new data analytics tools for modern facilities.
The Hackathon programme is aimed at growing data analytics skills across Africa using modern research platforms, such as the ilifu cloud computing facility.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Work with the BITDN software developer based at the South African Astronomical Observatory
- Work with international teams to develop data analysis workflows for the BITDN
- Develop tools for the scientific community to make use of large astronomical data sets
- Develop data challenges for the hackathon programme
- Develop a web-based platform for the data challenges
- Provide technical support for hackathon events
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or a related field
- Experience in data science, in particular using Python
- Experience using cloud computing
- Experience with containerization
- Excellent written and oral communication
The following would be advantageous:
- Software development
- Web development
- Some knowledge of Astronomy or experience with data -intensive science projects
Please attach your covering letter, a detailed curriculum vitae and highest qualification to your online profile. For any queries, please contact us at email@example.com