The Inter-University Institute for Data Intensive Astronomy (IDIA) is a partnership of four South African universities to undertake research and development to advance capacity for leadership in data intensive research in advance of the Square Kilometer Array. The IDIA Associate Director for Development and Outreach (ADDO) will join the IDIA executive team with responsibility for the development and outreach portfolio. Working with the executive and with the IDIA partner institutions, the ADDO will work to create research and development opportunities and partnerships and will help evolve strategies to better enable IDIA to advance its goals within both national and international contexts. Development actives will involve public outreach, lobbying, and identifying and developing strategically important partnerships with the academic, government and private sector entities. The ADDO will also work to identify opportunities and implement programs that progress transformation and the public advancement of science.
The ADDO position will be appointed as an Associate Professor in the Faculty of Natural Sciences for an initial term of three years. Continuation beyond the initial term would be subject to continued funding. The ADDO will be expected to maintain a research program in the broad area of astro-informatics or data intensive astronomy.
The ADDO is an ex-officio member of the IDIA management and will report directly to the IDIA Director. The focus of effort of the ADDO will be set in consultation with the IDIA Director. Specific areas of responsibility of the ADDO will include:
· Develop and manage the public relations program for IDIA, including the development of materials that publicize IDIA to the stakeholder community, and management of programs and events for public relations.
· Represent IDIA to the stakeholder community as requested by the Director, including advancing the reputation and interests of IDIA to the academic community, provincial and federal governments, and private sector.
· Identification of funding opportunities and aid in the preparation of proposal
Negotiations and Agreements
· Management and development of relationships with outside entities
· Development of agreements and communications with such outside entities
Development of Business Opportunities
· Maintain relationships with the private sector
· Identify and developing research and development opportunities that add value to IDIA
· Identify and develop business and commercialization opportunities
· Prepare and present reports to the IDIA management team and Oversight Committees
· Prepare an annual report on development and outreach activity as part of the IDIA annual reports
· PhD in astronomy, computer science or another discipline related to astroinformatics or astro-statistics
· Experience with scientific writing for the public and with public relations and outreach activities
Experience with any of the following would be advantageous
· Partnership building and project leadership
· Marketing and Business development
· Big data applications
· Working in a team environment In your application, you are encouraged to highlight your strengths and also include anything else that you feel may be pertinent to the selection panel.
Please attach your covering letter, a detailed curriculum vitae and highest qualification to your online profile.
Closing date for applications: 15 December 2017
Apply directly at: https://uwc.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/424